Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Quince Banana Bread


I had never even seen a quince before this day, but here I was with a bag full of them! You see, I live not too far from a Kins Domain so I took a ride up the mountain to see what they have. I ended up leaving with a lot of quinces given to me by the agriculturist...for free! The fruits had already fallen off the trees, and I was there at the right time.  Once at home I searched the internet for how to eat and or prepare quince. Don't eat them raw was the first lesson learned. Their texture is sort of a cross between an apple and acorn squash.



I found this video to be very helpful in cutting, coring and peeling a quince.




After watching the video I was ready to move forward with my quinces. I cored and peeled 4 quinces then sliced them into wedges.




Put the sliced quince in a saucepan with:
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar (more or less to your taste and sweetness level)

Bring to a full rolling boil. Immediately lower the heat, cover and let simmer until tender. Approximately 1 hour. Stir occasionally and add more water if necessary. As the quince cooks, it gradually turns red. At the deep red stage you can remove the lid and allow the liquid to reduce to a thick syrup. Stirring often.


Just reached full rolling boil, and they are still a light color




Deep red color after simmering for about an hour


The rest is easy!

  • 1 Box Banana Bread Mix
Follow the directions on the box for banana bread and prepare a loaf pan as directed.
Layer cooked quince in the bottom of the pan. Pour batter over quince and bake as directed on package.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...