Friday, December 23, 2016

Egg Foo Yung

Egg Foo Yong is simply an omelet, if you have eggs and leftovers you have all the ingredients you will need. The sauce also has common ingredients that you probably have on hand. Pork, shrimp, chicken and ham are popular meats for Egg Foo Young, I made mine vegetarian, for no particular reason.
The first thing I did when planning to make Egg Foo Yung was check the spelling. I researched dictionary websites, spelling websites, restaurants that have it on the menu, food channels and videos. I found all three spellings to be acceptable, Yung, Yong and Young. Whew! I'm glad that's over.


Ingredients:  (use whatever veggies you have on hand)

  • 4 eggs, beaten - use a large bowl
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
  • 1/4 cup shredded carrot
  • 1/4 cup frozen cauliflower, chopped
  • 1/4 cup frozen broccoli, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • oil for frying, canola, peanut or vegetable


Combine all the vegetables into the beaten eggs. Add salt and pepper. If you're adding meat, it should be cooked in advance. (that would be your leftovers!)

Coat a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of oil, more if it's a large pan. Let the oil get hot over med/high heat.
Scoop the mixture, I used 1/2 cup at a time, into frying pan. Let it cook for about 1 minute then carefully turn over and cook other side for another minute.

Remove from pan and drain on paper towel lined plate. 
This recipe made 6 patties. You can make them smaller by using 1/4 cup scoop.


For the sauce:

  • 1 cup water
  • 4 tsp. hoisin sauce
  • 1 tsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
  • 2 Tblsp. cold water
  • 1 Tblsp. cornstarch
Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boiling.
In a small bowl stir together cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water. Gradually add to hot mixture, cook and stir till thick and bubbly.
Pour over Egg Foo Yung.

Enjoy!


Here's a short video to show how it's done


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is Sandy KS! The best part is you can make a lot of it for not much money, and it uses up those leftovers.

      Delete
  2. I had never thought of egg foo yung as such but you are so correct. Eggs really aren't just for breakfast anymore but this traditional Chinese dish would go great first thing in the morning with a couple slices of bacon. Pinned to my breakfast board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bacon is a great idea Lorelei! Either on the side or cooked right in.

      Delete
  3. I want to do this. Egg Foo Yung is delicious and I love that it can be made vegetarian. I will find a way to print this, so I can refer to it while cooking. Thanks for a great recipe, Candy! Sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to make and quick. Better than waiting for delivery.

      Delete
  4. I used to fix egg foo yung often and was surprised, every time, about how delicious it is, not to mention how easy. Now I have a recipe again and will have to try this soon. Thanks for sharing, Candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Susan! I hope you enjoy making and eating Egg Foo Yung!

      Delete
  5. Egg Foo Young is my favorite dish and the one I always order from a Chinese restaurant. I also love to make my own and put 'shrimp' in it. Thanks for these simple directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egg Foo Yung is one of my favorites to order from a Chinese restaurant. Shrimp is a great addition!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...