Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Moo Goo Gai Pan - Just Like Takeout

I've ordered Moo Goo Gai Pan plenty of times from Chinese restaurants for takeout or delivery. I didn't know what the words meant but I liked the dish. So here's the meaning (in case you're interested):

          Moo Goo - Mushrooms
          Gai - Chicken
          Pan - Sliced


Sliced chicken and mushrooms, that's it! (I added snow peas and water chestnuts to mine, for color and texture).



Ingredients:

1 lb. boneless chicken breast, sliced into bite size pieces
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms sliced
1/2 cup frozen snow peas, cut in half crosswise
8 oz. can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
2 Tblsp. oil for cooking (peanut, canola or vegetable)


For the sauce:

3/4 cup water
3 Tblsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. hoisin sauce
4 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
1/2 tsp. ground ginger


In a skillet or wok, saute chicken pieces in 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn at least once.

Add mushrooms, snow peas, water chestnuts and onion. Saute another 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked and vegetables are tender but not brown. Add more oil if necessary.

In a separate bowl combine all ingredients for the sauce and mix well. Add liquid to the skillet, cook and stir until thick and bubbly. 

Serve immediately with boiled rice and chow mein noodles.
Serves 2 - 4

Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. You have me thinking Chinese for dinner tonight! Great to learn the meaning of Moo Goo Gai Pan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just recently learned the meaning so I thought I'd share the knowledge!

      Delete
  2. I'm adding your dish to my menu next time I make Chinese at home. Love Moo Goo Gai Pan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it Susan. Don't forget the fried rice!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...