Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Amish Onion Fritters

Amish Onion Fritters
I visited the Amish communities in and around Lancaster, PA several times when I lived in New Jersey. Their lifestyle is slow and peaceful, and in many ways enviable. If you know where to look, you can find handmade decorative items for sale. Hand carved wooden horses, fabric trivets and potholders, handmade dolls, candles and so much more.
Restaurants offer a fare that is inherent to the Amish culture with fruits and vegetables grown right there on the farm. Of the many foods that I loved to order when I visited, these Onion Fritters are easy to make and they taste just like onion rings.

Ingredients:


  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 Tblsp. sugar
  • 1 Tblsp. cornmeal (gives them crunch)
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 1/2 cups onions, chopped  (about 2 medium onions)
  • oil for cooking (vegetable or canola)


In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients, stir to distribute.
Add milk and onions. Mix well.
onion fritter batter


Heat about 1/2” of oil over medium/high heat in a skillet.

Carefully drop onion batter by tablespoonful into hot oil, a few at a time. Don't crowd the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes then with tongs carefully turn fritters. If they stick to the pan, wait a few seconds then try again. They will unstick when they're ready.
onion fritters


Cook other side another minute or two.
onion fritters


Remove from pan and drain on paper towel lined plate. Serve hot. Makes about 30 fritters. You can make them smaller for a bite-size snack or larger like potato pancakes.

The dipping sauce is a little spicy (I like it that way), but you can alter the ingredients to suit your taste.

Dipping sauce ingredients:
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tblsp. catsup
  • 2 Tblsp. horseradish sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. paprika
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste

Thoroughly mix all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.

Enjoy!



  

A horse-drawn buggy is a common sight in any Amish community. I followed this one to the general store (I was walking), where I bought some souvenirs and home-canned goods.

2 comments:

  1. I like fritters! My mother used to make corn fritters when I was young. These onion fritters will be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corn fritters are next on my list of things to make! I think you'll like these onion fritters.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...