Monday, March 13, 2017

Savory Irish Soda Bread

savory irish soda bread



I only make Irish Soda Bread once a year for St. Patrick's Day. (no surprise there). My tried and true recipe is a sweet version, with sugar and raisins. This year I decided to make it savory, no sugar just herbs. I use dried herbs but you can use fresh if you have them.










Ingredients:

  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1 tsp. dried sage
  • 16 oz. sour cream
Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.
Grease a 9” springform pan

Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix to thoroughly combine.

In a small bowl lightly beat eggs then add sour cream. Blend well.

Transfer the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix, and keep on mixing until it forms a ball. (You can use your hands for this). It should be sticky.

Place the ball into springform pan, patting it down and pushing towards the sides of the pan. Try to make it level.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Let cool for 10 minutes before removing the side of the pan.
savory irish soda bread

This is a perfect complement to Irish Stew or Shepherd's Pie.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. This looks pretty easy to make Candy. I do love savory and the herbs that you have in this. I also like sweet so either one is great. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both sweet and savory too Sam. I think I'll make one of each this year!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...