Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, March 3, 2017

Strawberry Fool



Strawberry Fool is a mixture of crushed strawberries and whipped cream. It's origin dates back to 1893 at Eton College where it is still served at the annual cricket match against the Harrow School team, there it is known as Eton Mess. I tossed in brownies to give it a little more substance. Ladyfingers would be nice too or vanilla wafers. I like the 'anything goes' approach.





Ingredients:

  • 8 oz. strawberries
  • 8 oz. heavy or whipping cream
  • 1 Tblsp. orange juice
  • brownies (optional) 

Wash the strawberries, remove the stems and slice into small pieces. Put the sliced strawberries in a bowl and drizzle with orange juice, mix well. Let the strawberries get to room temperature releasing their natural sweetness.  (I never add sugar to fresh fruit, just let the natural sweetness come out).



Whip the cream at low speed for 1 minute then at high speed for about 5 to 7 minutes or until stiff.  I don't add sugar to whipped cream but you can if you want to.  Refrigerate. (I never use whipped cream in a can or that frozen stuff in a plastic tub.)



I used a potato masher to pulverize the strawberries.



Add the crushed strawberries to whipped cream and gently fold the strawberries in. Don't mix entirely, you want streaks of berries throughout the cream. That's why it's called a mess at Eton.



Break up the brownies and pack a few pieces tightly into glass. Add a dollop of strawberry cream, more brownie bits, more cream....repeat as many times as you like.






2 comments:

  1. My does that look good. I have some pretty cups I could serve that in. I will have to try this in a sugar free version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only part that has sugar are the brownies I made from a mix. You can substitute them for any sugar-free cake or cookie.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...