Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Chicken Fried Steak

chicken fried steak with cornbread and potato salad photo by candy dorsey


Chicken Fried Steak is another one of those southern dishes that I love but can't find on a restaurant menu where I live. So I made it at home! I served it for lunch with Corn Sticks and potato salad. If you'll be having it for dinner, a green vegetable would be nice with mashed potatoes. Don't forget the white gravy with lots of black pepper!





For 2 people:


2 cube steaks, about ½ lb. each. (Steaks that look like they have been perforated with little squares)
½ cup flour
1 large egg, beaten
kosher salt and pepper to taste
oil for cooking

These are cube steaks.  Sometimes called Salisbury steak or Swiss steak.

cube steak, salisbury steak, swiss steak photo by candy dorsey

Place the flour in a pie tin and the beaten egg in another.
Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
Dredge the steaks in flour then tenderize them with a mallet type meat tenderizer or needles, to about ¼ inch thick.
Dredge in flour again.
Dip into beaten egg.
Dredge again in flour.

Let the steaks rest while the oil is heating in a medium skillet. When the oil is ready, carefully place steaks in skillet leaving space between them and not touching the sides of skillet.
Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and keep warm in the oven on a low temperature while you make the white gravy with plenty of black pepper. (You can use the flour left over from the dredging to make gravy.)

Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. This looks so good Candy. I haven't had this in such a long time, I never tried making it myself. Now that I have a recipe I will. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...