Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Cuban Sandwich

cuban sandwich cooked ham roast pork swiss cheese dill pickle mustard ciabatta bread photo by candy dorsey

I've read some accounts that the Cuban Sandwich originated in Key West, Florida then made its way to Miami and took off from there. I haven't found any proof of that so I'm going to go out on a limb and say it originated in Cuba. No matter, the first time I had it was in Las Vegas and I was hooked. Although I'm not a fan of lunch meat, cooked ham is a non-negotiable ingredient in a Cuban Sandwich.




What you'll need to make a Cuban Sandwich:

  • cooked ham
  • roast pork, sliced thin
  • swiss cheese
  • dill pickle, sliced
  • yellow mustard
  • Cuban or Ciabatta bread
  • butter
Amount of each ingredient is your preference.

Spread a small amount of softened butter on the outside of top and bottom of the bread. Spread mustard on inside of both halves, layer each ingredient on the bottom half. Place top half of bread on top. Grill the sandwich on a stove-top griddle or a panini griddle. Press down until the cheese melts. Approximately 2 minutes each side.

Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. Yes Candy the sandwich originated in Cuba, many years ago, and it was exported to Key West probably by the Cubans that left for political reasons in the 30s.
    Lourdes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lourdes, that's what I wanted to hear!

      Delete
  2. I really don't care where it came from, it just sounds delicious. Sometimes on Friday or Saturday night we have something like this for dinner. When you get older you want less food, I've found. This would be perfect. I love the grilling it, making a panini or grilled sandwich. I'll try your Cuban Sandwich. Thanks Candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. I had my first Cuban sandwich at Tommy B's on The Strip, next to the TravelLodge near Circus Drive. My Cuban friends said they're the best!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...