I know a few people who are allergic to shellfish, they are missing out on the fabulous fare of crab cakes. So I experimented with canned tuna and made Tuna Cakes. Try it, you'll like it and your shellfish allergic friends will thank you!
- 1 12 oz. can tuna in water, drain thoroghly
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or plain yogurt
- 4 or 5 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
Thoroughly mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl. Shape into 6 patties. Place the patties on a platter, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium heat. Cook the patties 4 minutes on each side or until golden.