Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Queso Frito



Queso Frito is just one of many appetizers I can't resist when dining at a Mexican restaurant. My attempt at making it at home turned out for the best! Crisp on the outside, gooey on the inside. I used mild cheddar cheese but mozzarella works just as well.









Ingredients:

  • 1/2 lb. cheddar cheese
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
  • vegetable oil for frying

To the breadcrumbs add:

  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. red pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Cut cheese into sticks about 1/2” x 1/2” x 4”, or cut into 1/2” cubes for bite-size appetizers.
Dip the cheese into beaten egg then dredge in breadcrumbs, covering all sides. Put them in the freezer for a few hours. You can make them a day ahead and freeze them overnight.


Heat 1/2” oil in skillet over medium heat. Test the oil with a drop of water to make sure it's hot enough. If it isn't you'll end up with a big mess of melted cheese! (It happened to me the first time I made these)   Gently place cheese in skillet and fry on both sides until golden. It only takes a few seconds. Remove from pan and place on paper towel lined plate to drain. Serve immediately with salsa.


Enjoy!





6 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I'll add this to my next Mexican meal that I make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't resist commenting. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can almost hear the sizzle. You always make cooking look so easy, Candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I always look for the easy way to make something!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...